Monday, December 5, 2011

Do the next thing!


I am sure that most of you in Blogland are very busy this time of year, as am I. I feel like that is all I ever say is I am busy! Is it the world we live in today? Is it that we just don't want to be still so we find busy things to do? Is all this busy stuff necessary? I don't know? I wish I did! Sometimes I long for a few days that I can have a little down time. Just a little breather! It seems to reach it's peak this time of year. We still have our regular duties as wives and mothers, throw in homeschooling and being active in our churches and then add being a pastor's family. Life is just busy. There are some days that you just feel like you will not get it all accomplished! Please don't get upset with me. I love Christmas and I love the church and I love my girls and everything else I do but let's put the brakes on just a tad!! Whenever I reach this place in my road I remember this little poem I heard a long time ago on Elizabeth Elliot's radio program and I refer back to it often. So when you get to where I am think on this little truth and I believe it will help you, just as it has me!

Do The Next Thing

From an old English parsonage,
Down by the sea,
There came in the twilight,
A message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend,
Deeply engraven,
Hath, as it seems to me,
Teaching from Heaven.
And on through the hours
The quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration-
DO THE NEXT THING

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment,
Let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity,
Guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows,
Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus,
DO THE NEXT THING

Do it immediately;
Do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence,
Tracing His Hand,
Who placed it before thee with
Earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence,
Safe 'neath His wing,
Leave all resultings,
DO THE NEXT THING

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
(Working or suffering)
Be thy demeanor,
In His dear presence,
The rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance
Be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness,
Praise and sing,
Then, as He beckons thee,
DO THE NEXT THING

-Author unknown

3 comments:

  1. This was such a blessing. I have been so overwhelmingly busy. I've wondered how I would accomplish all that is before me. I plan to print this and hang it on my refrigerator.

    Thank you for taking time to share this.

    Blessings!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to copy that poem! Just this past weekend I was 'busy' and in a hurry to get things done around the house. I was taking the mop and mop bucket, full of water, out the back door to empty it, when I tripped over a baseball a small child I had been keeping the day before, had left in the doorway. I twisted my ankle and the pain was so bad, I had to sit down. For the rest of the day, I could hardly walk. God used that to slow me down! It reminded me that some things really don't matter if they get done or not. We ladies are all about getting it all done, but when something like this happens when we 'can't' do it, we find that it really didn't matter as much as we were telling ourselves. Right then I started praying and asked God to help me see what is truly important to get done and what is just things that are keeping me busy. I want to enjoy this time of year and not be one of them who rushes through it. I may even let some of the daily chores go! Just not the laundry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that poem. Really needed it for my life right now.

    ReplyDelete