I think I have said this before but I just love Fall. Fall is probably my favoritest ( is that a word) time of year. But in reality I love all the seasons. I love the beauty of Spring when the flowers begin to bloom and the grass is green and the birds are singing. All of nature seems to come alive again. I love the Summer with the trips to the ocean, celebrating the 4th of July, family gatherings, Kid's Krusade, vacations with the family and fresh vegetables from the garden. I even love the winter months! It is a time to regroup and see the wonderful white snow (even though we don't get a lot of it here) and see the quietness of the winter months.
Let's just face it the Lord knew what He was doing when He gave us the different seasons. You and me both know that the majority of us once we are in one season we are already looking to the next. That is the way we are in life too. If you are like me in any way you have felt this way. I even remember when I was younger thinking.....I can't wait until I can drive, I can't wait until I graduate, I can't wait until I get married, I can't wait until I have children....I can't wait until they sleep all night! ;) You get the message by now. ;) That is the way we are. We are constantly looking for the next thing no matter where we are in life. Whether we are experiencing the good or bad times.
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. You see I feel that I wasted some precious times, always looking for the next thing. After the first baby I did catch on a little about savoring those precious nights of being up and holding that sweet baby all alone in the quietness of the hour and seeing those funny awkward first steps. These are times I will never forget. But you know that I am still at times looking for the next great thing. Now in the season of life I am in now my thoughts have changed. You see I am no longer in the spring, or summer of life but I have moved into the fall of life. Yes, I have some regrets about longing for this to come or that to come so quickly but all in all I did enjoy my seasons of life that I have passed through.
I guess the whole jest is this....I don't have many seasons left to enjoy but as I look at the beauty of fall I realize that the Fall of my life can be every bit as beautiful as the changing of leaves outside my window. My daughter's have grown and are beautiful young women, I am a grandmama now. I see things so differently than I use to. Not in a bad way but in a sweeter, softer way. If that makes any sense at all :) I love the Lord more deeply than ever before and I think I appreciate Him more than I use too. I enjoy the things of the Lord in a different way. It is kind of hard to explain and I can't find the words to put down to get you to understand. I feel like sometimes that I am an entirely different person than I was in those younger days.
Anyway, I know that the winter months are quickly approaching and I want to enjoy the colors and beauty of my Fall years. I want it to be a time when I draw even closer to the Lord and my family. When winter hits I want to be able to enjoy the warmth of the years past in my heart and look back with fondness of the things the Lord has done in my life. What a wonderful season of life to be in! I am 54 and I use to dread hitting this time of life but in reality it is very sweet. The Lord has just been so good to me in so many ways. Don't rush into another season, don't be in a hurry for this or that to pass! Just enjoy where the Lord has you today!
Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. James 4:14
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: Ecclesiates 3:1
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Phillipians 4:11



I know just what you mean. We waste a lot of our life away when we are young. I too am softer now than when I was younger. I appreciate things, little things, much more. I appreciate every day that God gives me. Jim Elliott said to "Be where you are right now", in other words, give your all to this place. We can take that as where we are on this day, this church, this family etc. God has a plan and we need to give ourselves to his will 100%.
ReplyDelete