Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Proper Way!

Hey Everybody! Hope everyone has had a wonderful week so far! The weather here is cold and overcast...typical for January! So I am in the house homeschooling and trying to clean out some little places that have been cluttered! But I have been wanting to do this little post for a while now. So here it is! :) Don't worry nothing too deep or thought provoking!

A few years back we were setting the table for out Valentine Banquet and a couple of ladies were helping put out the tableware. Everything was beautiful except...they had placed the spoons on whatever side hit their fancy! I don't mean every plate had the spoon on the left and the fork on the right or vice versa....I mean some had it on one side and some had it on the other! It was a disaster. I don't want you to think one minute that I am that picky but....we were packing it in that night and it was just a mess. I very politely told them that the fork went on the left and the spoon went on the right. They were not very happy! I told them if it was not a certain way that people would be using each others utensils because of the confusion. They politely corrected the situation.

I was in no way raised in a fancy house growing up so don't start the rumor that I am high falutin or anything. As a matter of fact I was raised on a farm but my mama always kept a clean house and tried to teach us there was a proper way to do things. So did the other ladies in the farming community as a matter of fact they got together once a month and shared their homemaking skills. It was really neat because when it came around to our house we got to dress up and serve the ladies on my mama's fancy glass dishes. :)

 So enough reminiscing. I wanted to share with you the proper way  to set a table. Now I don't use wine but in the picture below you will find even the correct place for them.....just in case you end up at some fancy place and wonder what they are so you can refuse the wine.... Right! I know that some people will say "Well, honey, I just don't think there is any scripture for that." I can hear it now so here is something to ponder on ....." Let all things be done decently and in order" I Corthians 14:20 :)
 propertablesetting2_zps716c2e58.jpg
This is for fancy meals. Instead of the wine goblet I just put a tea goblet.
 
 propertablesetting3_zps7882656d.jpg
 
This is our everyday place setting, add the napkin under the forks, of course.
 
 

 
This is just for fun but it is very informative. Good manners are never outdated! :)
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs. Freida! Only recently found your delightful blog. I have a little way I teach girls to remember which side of the plate utensils are put down: FORK has four letters and so does LEFT. KNIFE and SPOON both have five letters each and so does RIGHT. Isn't that neat?
    I will read your posts more regularly now that I've found you. God bless your ministry!
    Lori
    Texas

    ReplyDelete